About William M. Cotter
I am a doctoral candidate in the joint PhD program in Anthropology & Linguistics. Prior to joining the Department of Linguistics and School of Anthropology, I completed a Master’s of Arts in Sociolinguistics of the Arab World at the University of Essex. My Master’s research examined Arabic dialect contact in the Gaza Strip between indigenous Gaza Palestinians and Palestinian refugees originally from the city of Jaffa. More recently, in the summer of 2015 I conducted a three month pilot fieldwork project examining dialect contact in a Palestinian refugee camp in northern Jordan. I will conducting dissertation fieldwork in Amman, Jordan from August 2018 - September 2019. This work has been supported by the U.S. Student Fulbright Program and the National Science Foundation.
- Cotter, William M. (under review). The Arabic dialect of Gaza City. Journal of the International Phonetic Association.
- Cotter, William M. (submitted). Moral economies and enduring inequality in the world of professional barista competitions. Signs and Society.
- Cotter, William M. and Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson. 2018. Bivalent class indexing in the sociolingusitics of specialty coffee talk. Journal of Sociolinguistics.
- Hall-Lew, Lauren, Mirjam Eiswirth, Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson, and William M. Cotter. 2017. Northern Arizona Vowels, in Valerie Fridland, Tyler Kendall, Betsy Evans and Alicia Wassink (eds.) Speech in the Western States, Volume 2: Inland West, Chapter 4, pp. 59-82. Publication of the American Dialect Society. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Not-so-strange bedfellows: Language documentation and sociolinguistics in Gaza. Canadian Journal of Linguistics 62(4): 596-613.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Gaza at the margins? Legibility and indeterminacy in the Israel-Palestine conflict. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 27(1): 54-70.
- Horesh, Uri and Cotter, William M. 2016. Current research on linguistic variation in the Arabic speaking world. Language and Linguistics Compass 10(8): 370-381.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. (q) as a sociolinguistic variable in the Arabic of Gaza City, in Haddad, Youssef and Eric Potsdam (eds.). Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XXVIII: Papers from the Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics, Gainesville, Florida, 2014. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. 229-246.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. One piece of the puzzle: notes on the historic interdental fricatives /θ/, /ð/, and /ðʕ/ in the Arabic dialect of Gaza City, Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies 16: 149-162.
- Cotter, William M. and Horesh, Uri. 2015. Social integration and dialect divergence in coastal Palestine, Journal of Sociolinguistics, 19(4): 460-483.
Book Chapters & Encyclopedia Entries:
- Cotter, William M. (under review). Dialect Contact and Phonological Change, in Lucas, Chris and Stefano Manfredi (eds). Arabic and contact-induced change: A handbook. Berlin: Language Science Press.
- Cotter, William M. (to appear). Linguistic diversity and plurality in the Middle East and North Africa. In James Stanlaw (ed). The International Encyclopedia of Linguistic Anthropology. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Cotter, William M. and de Jong, Rudolf. (to appear). Lexical and Regional Variation, in Al-Wer, Enam and Uri Horesh (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Arabic Sociolinguistics. London: Routledge.
- Haeri, Niloofar and Cotter, William M. (to appear). Form and Ideology Revisited, in Al-Wer, Enam and Uri Horesh (eds.). The Routledge Handbook of Arabic Sociolinguistics. London: Routledge.
- Horesh, Uri. and Cotter, William M. 2015. Sociolinguistics of Palestinian Arabic, in Edzard, Lutz and Rudolf de Jong (eds.) Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Lingusitics Online. Leiden: BRILL.
Editor-Reviewed Articles & Proceedings Papers:
- Cotter, William M. (to appear). 56 Seconds. Anthropology & Humanism.
- Cotter, William M. (to appear). Spring in Gaza. Anthropology & Humanism.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Burying Tariq Aziz. Arizona Anthropologist 28: 27-36.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. A sociophonetic account of morphophonemic variation. Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics 26: 060001.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. On depression, anxiety, and looking for the silver lining in short-term fieldwork. Arizona Anthropologist 26: 23-35.
- Cotter, William M. 2018. Thank You for Dying for Our Country: Commemorative Texts and Performance in Jerusalem by Chaim Noy. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 28(2): 243-244.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. Review of Language and Identity in Modern Egypt by Reem Bassiouney, Al-’Arabiyya 49: 163-166.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. Review of Making Waves: The story of variationist sociolinguistics by Sali Tagliamonte. LinguistList.
- Cotter, William M. 2015a. Review of Language, Migration, and Identity: Neighborhood talk in Indonesia by Zane Goebel. LinguistList.
Public Scholarship, Media, & Engagement:
- Cotter, William M. 2018 - Present. Contributor to Illustrating Anthropology.
- Cotter, William M. 2018 - Present. Contributor to Footnotes.
- Cotter, William M. 2018. Author interview with Alex E. Chávez about Sounds of Crossing: Music, Migration, and the Aural Poetics of Huapango Arribeño. Durham: Duke University Press. CaMP Anthropology.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Do Military Leaflets Save Lives or Just Instill Fear? SAPIENS Magazine.
- Cotter, William M. and Valentinsson, Mary-Caitlyn. 2016. A seat at the bar: Issues of race and class in the world of specialty coffee, Article for Anthropologies as part of Anthrodendum (formerly Savage Minds)
- Cotter, William M. 2016. Political conflict as a catalyst for language change: The case of Palestinian Arabic, Babel - The Language Magazine 14: 38-44.
- Cotter, William M. 2014. Navigating the Ph.D. Application Season, GradHacker - Inside Higher Education.
William Cotter, joint PhD student in Anthropology and Linguistics at the University of Arizona recently contributed a feature article to the February 2016 issue of Babel - The Language Magazine. Babel highlights linguistic research in an accessible... read more
Joint Anthropology & Linguistics PhD student William Cotter publishes in the Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and LinguisticsWilliam Cotter, a joint doctoral student in the Anthropology & Linguistics recently co-authored (with Uri Horesh) a lemma in the Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Linguistics entitled "Sociolinguistics of Palestinian Arabic". The lemma... read more
Language variation and change, dialect contact, verbal art, sociophonetics, Arabic dialectology, linguistic anthropology, Arabic phonology, structural violence, migration, citizenship
2017 - M.A. in Linguistics, University of Arizona, Tucson AZ
2013 - M.A. in Sociolinguistics of the Arab World, University of Essex, Colchester UK
2012 - B.I.S in Middle Eastern Studies, Georgia State University, Atlanta GA
As Instructor of Record:
S' 17, S' 18 : Anth 383 - Varieties of English (Online)
Summer 2018: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human
Summer 2017: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human (Online)
Summer 2017: Ling 322 - The Structure and Meaning of Words (Online)
Summer' 16: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human
F '15: Ling 320 - Language and Social Issues (w/ Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson)
S' 16 / F '17: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human
F' 14 / S '15 / F '16: Anth 150A1 - Race, Ethnicity, and the American Dream
F' 15: Anth 303 - Gender and Language