About William M. Cotter
I am a doctoral candidate in the joint PhD program in Anthropology & Linguistics. Prior to joining the Department of Linguistics and School of Anthropology, I completed a Master’s of Arts in Sociolinguistics of the Arab World at the University of Essex. As part of my work, I have conducted linguistic and anthropological fieldwork in the Gaza Strip, as well as multiple different locations throughout Jordan. I am currently completing the fieldwork portion of my dissertation research.
- Cotter, William M. (accepted pending revisions). Voicing the supply chain: Moral economies and enduring inequality in the world of professional barista competitions. Signs and Society.
- Cotter, William M. (accepted pending revisions). The Arabic dialect of Gaza City. Journal of the International Phonetic Association.
- Cotter, William M. and Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson. 2018. Bivalent class indexing in the sociolingusitics of specialty coffee talk. Journal of Sociolinguistics 22(5): 489-515.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Not-so-strange bedfellows: Language documentation and sociolinguistics in Gaza. Canadian Journal of Linguistics 62(4): 596-613.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Gaza at the margins? Legibility and indeterminacy in the Israel-Palestine conflict. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 27(1): 54-70.
- Horesh, Uri and Cotter, William M. 2016. Current research on linguistic variation in the Arabic speaking world. Language and Linguistics Compass 10(8): 370-381.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. One piece of the puzzle: notes on the historic interdental fricatives /θ/, /ð/, and /ðʕ/ in the Arabic dialect of Gaza City, Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies 16: 149-162.
- Cotter, William M. and Horesh, Uri. 2015. Social integration and dialect divergence in coastal Palestine, Journal of Sociolinguistics, 19(4): 460-483.
- Hall-Lew, Lauren, Mirjam Eiswirth, Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson, and William M. Cotter. 2017. Northern Arizona Vowels. American Speech 92, Supplement (102)1: 59-82. (Publication of the American Dialect Society - Speech in the Western States, Volume 2: Inland West).
- Cotter, William M. 2016. (q) as a sociolinguistic variable in the Arabic of Gaza City, in Haddad, Youssef and Eric Potsdam (eds.). Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XXVIII: Papers from the Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics, Gainesville, Florida, 2014. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. 229-246.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Burying Tariq Aziz. Arizona Anthropologist 28: 27-36.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. On depression, anxiety, and looking for the silver lining in short-term fieldwork. Arizona Anthropologist 26: 23-35.
Editor-Reviewed Book Chapters:
- Cotter, William M. (to appear). Dialect Contact and Phonological Change, in Lucas, Chris and Stefano Manfredi (eds). Arabic and contact-induced change: A handbook. Berlin: Language Science Press.
- Cotter, William M. and de Jong, Rudolf. 2019. Lexical and Regional Variation, in Al-Wer, Enam and Uri Horesh (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Arabic Sociolinguistics. London: Routledge. 47-62.
- Haeri, Niloofar and Cotter, William M. 2019.. Form and Ideology Revisited, in Al-Wer, Enam and Uri Horesh (eds.). The Routledge Handbook of Arabic Sociolinguistics. London: Routledge. 243-268.
Editor-Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
- Cotter, William M. 2016. A sociophonetic account of morphophonemic variation. Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics 26: 060001.
- Cotter, William M. (to appear). Linguistic diversity and plurality in the Middle East and North Africa. In James Stanlaw (ed). The International Encyclopedia of Linguistic Anthropology. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Horesh, Uri. and Cotter, William M. 2015. Sociolinguistics of Palestinian Arabic, in Edzard, Lutz and Rudolf de Jong (eds.) Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Lingusitics Online. Leiden: BRILL.
Published Book Reviews:
- Cotter, William M. 2018. Thank You for Dying for Our Country: Commemorative Texts and Performance in Jerusalem by Chaim Noy. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 28(2): 243-244.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. Review of Language and Identity in Modern Egypt by Reem Bassiouney, Al-’Arabiyya 49: 163-166.
- Cotter, William M. 2016. Review of Making Waves: The story of variationist sociolinguistics by Sali Tagliamonte. LinguistList.
- Cotter, William M. 2015a. Review of Language, Migration, and Identity: Neighborhood talk in Indonesia by Zane Goebel. LinguistList.
Outreach, Public Scholarship, Poetry, and Media:
- Cotter, William M. 2019. Amman, Jordan: The Sprudge Coffee Guide. Sprudge: Coffee News & Culture.
- Cotter, William M. 2019. Interview on Bliss 104.3: Feel the Music - radio interview about my dissertation research in Amman.
- Cotter, William M. 2019. 56 Seconds. Anthropology & Humanism 44(1): 171-174.(Second place in the Society for Humanistic Anthropology's 2018 Ethnographic Poetry Prize Competition).
- Cotter, William M. 2019. Spring in Gaza. Anthropology & Humanism 44(1): 171-174.
- Cotter, William M. 2018. Author interview with Alex E. Chávez about Sounds of Crossing: Music, Migration, and the Aural Poetics of Huapango Arribeño. Durham: Duke University Press. CaMP Anthropology.
- Cotter, William M. 2017. Do Military Leaflets Save Lives or Just Instill Fear? SAPIENS Magazine.
- Cotter, William M. and Valentinsson, Mary-Caitlyn. 2016. A seat at the bar: Issues of race and class in the world of specialty coffee, Article for Anthropologies as part of Anthrodendum (formerly Savage Minds)
- Cotter, William M. 2016. Political conflict as a catalyst for language change: The case of Palestinian Arabic, Babel - The Language Magazine 14: 38-44.
- Cotter, William M. 2014. Navigating the Ph.D. Application Season, GradHacker - Inside Higher Education.
William Cotter, joint PhD student in Anthropology and Linguistics at the University of Arizona recently contributed a feature article to the February 2016 issue of Babel - The Language Magazine. Babel highlights linguistic research in an accessible... read more
Joint Anthropology & Linguistics PhD student William Cotter publishes in the Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and LinguisticsWilliam Cotter, a joint doctoral student in the Anthropology & Linguistics recently co-authored (with Uri Horesh) a lemma in the Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Linguistics entitled "Sociolinguistics of Palestinian Arabic". The lemma... read more
Variationist sociolinguistics, linguistic anthropology, sociophonetics, Arabic dialects, specialty coffee, Palestinian Arabic, Jordan, the Gaza Strip, economic reform
As Instructor of Record:
S' 17, S' 18 : Anth 383 - Varieties of English (Online)
Summer 2018: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human
Summer 2017: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human (Online)
Summer 2017: Ling 322 - The Structure and Meaning of Words (Online)
Summer' 16: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human
F '15: Ling 320 - Language and Social Issues (w/ Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson)
S' 16 / F '17: Anth 150B1 - Many Ways of Being Human
F' 14 / S '15 / F '16: Anth 150A1 - Race, Ethnicity, and the American Dream
F' 15: Anth 303 - Gender and Language