Independent Study

To learn more about independent study opportunities and directed research, click on our guide below.

Independent Study Opportunities


What is the differences between independent study and directed research?

Independent study can be at all levels (1-499), while directed research is only upper division (3-492a). Independent study is for a Pass/Fail grade, while directed research is for a regular letter grade. they are otherwise basically the same. 

How do I register for either one of those?

You should first email the professor you would like to work with. You should then take a copy of the "independent study proposal form" to them and have them sign it. This form is emailed to the underling listserv before every semester. You should finally take this form to Shayna Walker in the Communications Building Room 104.

Independent Study Form